Jackson loved Christmas and I loved being with him as he got excited over every single gift he got...
huge gasp, "I LOVE it. It is JUST what I always wanted. I love it love it." It was so fun. He played with his pirate ship all day.
Paige was hilarious as well. She loved unwrapping and loved running her stroller into everything she could. Oh, and anything made of refined sugar also made it into her mouth. She ran around all day with her new necklaces. She also could be found at almost all times with someone's toothbrush in her mouth. She is such a feisty little thing.
J has been such a complete struggle for me lately and I apologize for venting on Christmas day, but it was like every other...fighting about everything. For lands sake, he is only (almost) 4. I really don't know how to deal with him. Everything is a fight with him from getting dressed to getting out the door to going to a friends. I feel completely worn out from dealing with him. I need some serious, practical help and I don't know where to find it. I have done Love and Logic and it works okay, but it is so hard and seriously I think he is too smart for it sometimes. I try to have consequences, but nothing means anything to him. It this what the rest of my life is going to be because seriously, I don't think I can handle it. And I am not a nice mom to him. I pray to have patience with him, but it is so hard. What do I do?? I may end up with only two children if things don't improve.
We have had a nice holiday season. I was really busy with my photography and learned some things that will be different for next year to hopefully allow me to enjoy more of the season. I really hope to have a slow next month just to regroup and enjoy being a mom and homemaker for a while. Luckily I have the greatest hubby who never complains when he has to come home and whip up dinner because I am frantically getting Christmas orders together. Seriously, he is the greatest.
We had a really nice Christmas eve get together with tons of tasty food and company. I have felt a little sick all week so unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I would like to, but I sure enjoy watching others enjoy.
I had an awesome trip to San Francisco with Anne. I am just going to copy from her blog and post since she is such a thorough story teller. Now I just need to actually post some photos.
Speaking of which...anyone figured out a way to have your blog printed? Blurb used to do it, but they don't anymore. I want somewhere that requires less work that copying and pasting into photoshop and creating my own pages.
We had the ward Christmas party last week. I am on the activities committee and so we were busy planning that. It was pretty successful minus the lack of orange juice. The red faced Santa made his appearance and I was shocked that J didn't recognize him this year either.
Merry Christmas once again...did I mention we woke up to a white Christmas? Crazy.
I can't even begin to tell you how this makes me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh. He is such a good sport.





Christmas sunday. Such cute kiddos!

Our Christmas eve spread.

Watching a little Mickey's Christmas Carol (and calming down!!)
Santa Came!!

The kids in their Christmas pjs...we gave J a long talk about coming straight to our room before going downstairs. Did he listen? Of course not.



our white Christmas.



He really was this excited about his pirate ship. He played with it all afternoon. The pirates always win in his world.

The Horton game is a hit! Thanks Kim!
5 comments:
Merry Christmas!! Looks like a good one at your house. We got your card and it is so cute.
RE: Jackson--this too shall pass. At least that's what I keep telling myself about Lily! I think love and logic has good ideas, but if I try to follow it exactly, I go crazy. Young kids don't always learn that way. I just have to say "because I said so" a lot and find a punishment that works for a while, then change it when it isn't working anymore! With lots of love in between of course, which he is surely getting in your family. Also, I have to stop (a lot) and evaluate how much non-distracted time I am giving to all the kiddos (i.e. while I'm not at the computer). Remember that Heavenly Father sent him to your family b/c you and Douglas are the best parents for him!!
Thanks for the thoughts, b/c I really need to take my own advice on this.
Staci, I just want you to know that it will get better with J. I had the same problem with my oldest daughter when she was three and four. Our life was one constant battle and I was going crazy (now I'm doing the same thing with Brevyn.) Anyway, she eventually grew out of it and now she is the sweetest thing and only wants me to be happy (sometimes that gets a little crazy too.) Just do what you think is best for you and for him and things will work themselves out.
Staci I fear that I have no real helpful advice except to continue changing it up as Rachel said. As you well know I have two children that seem to be good at outsmarting us. Ages 3 to about 6 were the hardest years for me in many regards with Lincoln, but you've been around us a lot and I can't fool you into thinking it's over. They definitely keep their strong personalities(where they come from we'll never know-prob. their Dad's) as they get older, but either I'm better at handling him or he's getting easier. Hang in there and I'm glad to see you had a very Merry Christmas.
I've back on the blogging wagon myself . . enjoyed your little Christmas photo-journaling.
I do have one piece of advice that someone told me just about 6 months ago (I think it was Kelly B. quoting Jolyn F.)-- it totally stuck with me and though I may not have completely changed my parenting skills, when I remember it, it give my parenting attitude a kick in the rear. Jolyn(in response to a question on how she raised such great kids) said (this is my paraphrase, 3rd hand!): I realized that kids come to this earth good and want to be good. They're intent is to be good and as a parent, our job is to realize that and encourage this goodness to stick around.
So when my kids act out, I remind myself that they're natural inclination is to be good. They want to be good and I want them to be good-- and it has kind of changed how I look at my girls and how I react to them.
That's all I've got; take what you will. BTW, I love both your kids. They'd fit in great in my house; it is crazy here too.
Very fun pics of Christmas at your house. Can I just say that Christmas Eve spread looks DIVINE! Yum! Got any left?! j/k! :) Looks like you guys were extra good this year with all that Santa brought!
No advice about Jackson. I do like what Sarah had to say though. I've been thinking about that and am going to try to apply it around here too. They are not here to make our lives miserable. They want to be good. Jackson is seriously cute and from my perspective is very well behaved. So don't get so down on yourself. You're doing a GREAT job!
ps-I know someone that also knows you. I was chatting with a girl named Stacey Johnson at a party with all of Bill's friends (Bill and her husband Brent were friends in high school) and we were talking about living down here and stuff. Then we got talking about where we lived and she asked if I knew you and I said, OF COURSE! Then she said they used to own Kaleidoscope. Small world! Anyway, she said to say hi.
Happy 2009 to you guys! I feel like I haven't seen you FOREVER. Ok, I guess I haven't. You're the busy bee and I was gone FOREVER. But we're back now, so let's get together sometime! :)
Post a Comment