Wednesday, July 19, 2006

back in high school??

why is it, that no matter how old you get, there are experiences in life that make you feel like you are still in hs? Why at almost 28 am I still worrying about saying the right thing, being "cool", having people like me? Why can't I just have the confidence that hey, their loss? I know that I am a great friend to people. I am thoughtful and loyal. Then why am I the one that always has to initiate. I tell ya, I try so hard to call, invite, participate, be happy, friendly, etc. etc. and to what end?? Do people call me to do things? rare. Do people seek me out in a crowd? rare. Do people respond when I make the initiative? rare. Or do I have unrealistic expectations? Are people responding like normal people do? Am I abnormal to expect this? Am I really weird and it is no wonder that no one wants to hang out? Are there many others at home wishing someone would call and invite them to do something? Do other people not feel the need to be social and get out? It just really annoys me and I feel like not even trying anymore. I know it is hard because most people my age around here have 8 year olds and 4 kids, but come on.

Hmmm. and you know what the most annoying part really is? Why do I have to even care?

Am I the only one that feels this way?

3 comments:

Sarita said...

Not just you. In fact, I was just having a conversation about this today. Strange.

My experiences tend to be more to do with guys. They stare, I initiate conversation, or actual social acitivities, when it becomes obvious that they wont. It's nice. And then they just go back to the staring. And then I'm thrust back into the HS mentality where I feel insecure and "uncool".

Rachel said...

People your age have 8 year olds and four kids? I often feel the same way, though I just met someone really friendly at the library today!

I will say, it seems like when I had one kid, I was dying to get out more, with two, a little less, and I've been told the more kids you have the less time you spend with other moms because your kids are involved in their own stuff and have each other to play with. So come January I will probably be Mrs. Anti-social!

Kellie Larsen said...

i think this is something everyone struggles with. it would be nice to just let go of it all. to be ok with ourselves