Saturday, February 07, 2009

Thumb-less

That is a scary thing when you have a thumb sucker...and I do. Paige has sucked her thumb from early on. It is the cutest thing (if I do say so). I am sure it will screw up her teeth and yada yada, but really, if it means she can self soothe, I am all over it!!

Well, tragedy struck at our house a few days back when little miss busy body decided to grab my flat iron (it gets really hot I might add) with her bare hand. A large blister appeared on her right thumb. She didn't cry at all, but spent the day saying "hot", "stingy" (in her cute little voice--another important detail, of course). It was still suckable until the blister popped today and we had to bandage her thumb. The first she pulled off, but she is a smart little cookie and quickly realized that is was smart to keep on, so she did.

Nap time was not fun though. With no thumb to suck there was also no nap taken. Yikes! Luckily she was in good spirits most of the day none the less. She also was so exhausted at bed time that I think she forgot about the thumb or even (heaven forbid) sucked the other.

And the cutest part...I put a little Einstein bandage on and she immediately said, "eintine, wocket sip". Ahhh, how can I not love that little thing. Despite all the messes and trouble, she is the cutest little cookie around.

8 comments:

Tara said...

I can't believe she is talking that much!

I have to agree with you on the thumb sucking. Julia was our thumb sucker and such a happy baby. She started sleeping through the night at 3 months.

Only problem is that now she won't stop and it is affecting her teeth. We need to get more serious about trying to get her stop. I still think it's cute. But it won't be cute if she goes to college sucking her thumb!

Rachel said...

I agree. I can't believe she is talking that much? Exactly how old is she? Zack says "Mama" and "Da!" Maybe we need to get him together with Paige for some one-on-one speech therapy.

annebabe said...

a cute little cookie indeed. :)

Tina said...

Well...I sucked my thumb until I was about 11. Only at night as I got older. My teeth are okay and I never had to have braces. My parents tried all the gross stuff to brush on my thumb (right one only), but I finally got wise and washed it off.
Of course, I was an insecure little gal, not a fiesty Miss Independence like P. I guess i just needed the comfort of my thumb at night. Heaven knows there was no child psychologist that my folks could take me to.

jen said...

I am impressed with how well she can talk! She is soooo cute.

staci said...

So I asked her who was on her bandaid today in nursery and she totally said, "eintein, wocket sip" It was SOOOO CUTE! She's my little buddy in nursery. She kept coming & sitting on my lap and wanting me to pick her up if I was standing up. She even took out her little clip in her hair and brought it over to me and wanted me to put it back in. I heart your Miss P! :)

staci said...

ps-I sucked my thumb as well and also never had to have braces. I'm just sayin'...

Stephanie said...

Carson grabbed my flat iron a couple months ago and got a nasty burn and HUGE blister too! I was soo sad for him, but he is a binky baby, so I didn't have to deal with him being "thumb-less."