hmmm...only 3 months late. This task has been a little daunting since there is so much to say. I will do my best at being thorough and remembering (not too good at that). We left for Guatemala Wednesday after D got off work. We headed down to Vegas to drop the kids off with my amazing aunt who had offered to watch them (I don't think she knew what she was getting herself into!). We also met up with my uncle and 14 year old cousin who can with us. We were on the red eye to Guat. with a connection through Houston. It was fairly uneventful. I think I slept most of the way. We landed in Guat. at 11am and once we were through customs etc. my mom took us back to their apartment to freshen up and then out to have lunch with my dad at a Mexican restaurant. (okay, so this is really travelogey...sorry.) After lunch we went to check out the embassy where my dad works. It was a much different than I expected. For one, I have seen the Saint and was really disappointed not to have guards on the outside that I could run up to yelling that I was an American and be protected from harm. In fact the embassy in Guatemala is a little ghetto. There are marines at the entrance (inside), but not as super coolish like the movies portray.
My mom showed us her office (she is a nurse there) and then my dad showed us around where all the other consulars and foreign nationals work. It was pretty interesting learning about how it all runs. Douglas opted to stay the rest of the day with my dad (he is a little obsessed with military books and govt. stuff--I think still holding to the dream that he will join the military). I went back with my mom and took a fat nap. It was just a slow evening to let us rest for the next few crazy days. I wish I had taken pics of my parents apartment. It was really cool and nice, but didn't even cross my mind. This is the only picture I took the first day...

better than nothing, I guess?
Part two another time.
2 comments:
finally!!! :) and yes, one photo is better than no photos. slow and steady, you can do this! just don't let part 2 be like 6 months from now. ;)
And what is that a photo of?????
Post a Comment