So we all have our "thing", right? I hope? You know, the thing you feel totally inadequate about (I guess I should use the word "things"...little more accurate). Well, I am here to confess to all of you what one of my major inadequacies is. I have thought a lot about this since I left a session yesterday of a client with an immaculately decorated and cleaned home and though I haven't come to terms with it, I want to. You know, it really stinks to have a list of things we feel we "should" do, or "should" be. Who decided these things anyways? I wish I was on that committee, because I sure would make it easier to live up to. Anyway, I digress.
So, I am horrible about keeping my house tidy. I have someone who cleans it every other week (a huge blessing and the only way I stay sane while working and having two little ones). I vacuum a few times a week. I make sure my dishes are done at night, but when it comes to things and clutter, I can't control it. I get on a binge and clean, organize and then slowly it all just returns to chaos. I get stacks of paper on my counters, nail polish bottles on the window ledge (out of reach of little hands, but not where it belongs), clean laundry on the couch, folded laundry that goes from my bed to my chest. And the toys...don't even get me started. I wish I could throw them all out at times. Sometimes I just wish I was someone else who could just stay on top of it all, who just took the time to put it away right after it was used. I wish I wasn't a packrat (I don't keep total junk, but if I see it having some future use, I keep it). It stinks to feel like that though, because I am me. I know this is how I am and I realize it will be a life long battle.
So, I am working hard to be okay with it. I don't want to apologize everytime someone stops by and my house is in disarray. If it bugs people, they need to give a heads up first and I will throw it all in the guest room and shut the door before they come.
So, there you go. I know I have many strengths and talents, but this is just not one of them and someday I WILL be all right with it. And, if you happen to be on the committee of how things "should" be...could you loosen up just a bit?
p.s. J's scab fell off today and it seems to be healing nicely. I will post the updates soon.
9 comments:
You hit the nail right on the head sister! We do all have our "things" and you know what I think is great? Is to feel comfortable enough to say it like it is. And you did. Very well. So good job!
The good news is these kiddos of yours are growing up and minion chore slaves are a great thing and only a few years away. :o)
Don't be too hard on yourself.
Your good enough. Your smart enough. And dog-gone-it, people like you!
Well said! I feel the exact same way as you do. I cannot for the life of me keep up with my house. It gets dirty and cluttered so fast that sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying.
You have sooo many strengths and talents. I wish I had half as many as you do. Some day when the kids are grown you will be able keep up with all the cleaning but for now you can just enjoy the kids and your hobbies. That is what I am telling myself anyways :).
Well it just so happens I am on the committee. I've been advocating for some loosening up in the house cleaning department for a long time now. I'm with you I just can keep it together when it comes to a clean house.
I get sidetracked to easily. I'm not a naturally organized person, so I struggle with it, but oh well. I just need to work on not getting upset with my children when they display the same behavior I've either genetically passed on to them, shown by example, or both.
Btw, I've never thought anything of it--as far as your house tidying skills go. I've noticed how nicely it's decorated though and all of the beautiful pictures hanging on the walls.
Don't be too hard on yourself.
No stealing MY thing. Right now I blame it on me working 6 days a week plus overtime, but I am sure I will find a new excuse if/when that changes.
I do have to say that slave minions are very great to have around. Not that their room is clean, but it sure is nice to have someone else vacuum and unload the dishwasher.
I have been working on keeping my personal stuff in order--like my room and bathroom. It makes me feel better about myself when the rest of the house is falling down around me.
p.s. How DO you keep your dishes under control? That is the hardest thing for me.
Amen, sista!!
next week: When to hit the kids and when to hit the bottle!
stay tuned as Staci reveals more personal and fascinating details about her life as a stay-at-home-mom/hairdresser/photographer/seamstress/hairbowmaker/gardner/cook/fabulous friend.
ps- I'm coming over, start hauling your crap to the guest room.
Post a Comment