Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day Two

Don't fall out of your seat people...I am finally blogging about day two when I have five million other things I should be attending to, like packing for an 8 day trip. Here we go anyway.

The second day the plan was to go to el centro mercado (the central market) in the morning and then meet up with my dad (he had to work a half day) and head to the ruins. The first half turned out as planned. We went the the central market which is this huge underground artisan type market with every possible trinket you could imagine...some less appropriate than others. It was really interesting to see the things they had to offer. It reminded me a lot of Jerusalem and the vendors behind the Damascus wall (is that what it is called?? I have a HORRIBLE memory for names). I bought a few little trinkets. Douglas loved it. He would stop at every little store and look around. In fact, he loved EVERYTHING about the trip. He wanted to try any thing that was native and wouldn't kill him or make him really sick. He wouldn't even drink normal soda, he wanted the obscure pineapple drink that they sold. He is fun to travel with!

They also have a cool area in the central market where you can buy fruits, veges and meat. I feel extreme gratitude for the regulations in our country after going to and smelling places like that. I remember going to the meat stores in Uruguay and seeing huge slabs hanging with flies all over. Makes me what to vomit (and you too, I am sure).

We picked up my dad around noon and headed back to their apartment where we were to meet our driver that would take us to all the ruins. The had rented a "new" since my parents car can't hold all of us and it is a long drive in a short amount of time. I wish I had taken a picture of the van because it was so ghetto. There weren't even seatbelts for everyone and the back row was more of a huge jump seat with a bar that dug into butts and backs. Seeing how I hoped to raise my children to adult hood, I suggested we don't go in the van. It was agreed and after a few phone calls another "new" van (which actually turned out to be new) was arranged for the next day.

With the change of plans we decided to go to Antigua for the rest of the day. We piled in my parent's SUV (with Jonathon in the back) and drove the 40 minutes out there. It is a cool old town with old buildings, many of which had been destroyed by earthquakes and volcanic eruption. We had lunch at a little deli-ish place and spent the day perusing the local shops. The streets are loaded with women selling EVERYTHING you can imagine. The kids sell too and the all gather around you asking you to buy. I bought a piece of jewelry there and a really cool old cheese bowl for taking pictures.

There is also a really old cathedral there that we walked around. I am normally not a scenic photographer, but there was so much amazing stuff I couldn't resist. I gave up on the editing part though since I realized it wasn't going to happen.

My parent's have to be back at their aparment by dark for safety reasons so we left before it got dark. So there you go, day two. I may edit as I remember, but I think that is it!



The central market.

Photobucket


Photobucket
My uncle and cousin. He bought necklaces for all his lady friends (my cousin). He was fun to have there...a good little brother figure to tease!
Photobucket
This is all the fresh produce I told you about and the native dress.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Mi and my mamacita.
Photobucket
Aren't these the coolest flowers. I had to resist putting up all the pics I took of them...they were so cool. And isn't my mom beautiful!!
Photobucket
Who is that handsome dude with his eyes half shut?
Photobucket
Oh, my one and only.
Photobucket
I loved all the colors. Why don't we paint our houses cool colors?
Photobucket

Photobucket
An old building that was destroyed.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Handsome man again.
Photobucket
Cool flower again.
Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is the volcano right outside town. I can't remember the name of it.
Photobucket

Photobucket
and no day is complete without ice cream.
Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

staci said...

GREAT pics & commentary! I love that I am not the only one who has events from MAY to update on the blog! How sad is that?! Oh well! And yes, your mom is way cute!! :)

Sarita said...

Great photos Stace. I'm jealous and just itching to travel.

jen said...

Wow, those pictures make me want to plan a trip to Guatamala right now! They are fantastic. I am so glad you and D were able to go on such an exciting trip.

annebabe said...

okay, first things first the name of the volcano is Vulcan de Agua, for those not fluent in espanol, Volcano of Water. This is because it rained and rained before the volcano exploded and the dome was filled with hot water. So not only did the surrounding villages get ash, and hot lava, they got boiling water rained upon them as well. Fun!

2ndly- Antigua is where I visited in Guatemala and I totally remembered that cathedral and the town square, etc. Good times. Loved it.

3rdly- loved your photos. lets be trendsetters and paint our houses bright colors.

Tina said...

Thanks Annie for inserting the appropriate information about Volcan Agua. Antigua is our favorite place in Guate--and only 40 minutes from home. These pictures bring back such good memories. So glad D&S came to visit!