Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Newlywed Game...

This is the Elder's quorum activity for which D and I have become infamous (not just famous). It has been retold countless times at group gatherings, Elder's Quorum meetings and who knows what other venues. D and I now talk about it and laugh, but at the time, I think it was the maddest D has ever been with me. Go ahead and laugh outloud while I retell it, everyone else does.

So, we were fairly new to the ward at the time. There was an Elder's Quorum party which we decided to attend. The presidency decided that for the activity we would be playing the Newlywed game. Four couples were chosen (us, of course, included). The women left the room and the guys were asked questions about us. The questions were straight forward and fairly easy. Then, they invited us back in and the women had to answer the questions how we thought the guys would have. Douglas and I were smoking everyone. I think by the end of the round we were leading the game like 140 to 30 or something ridiculous like that.

Now it was time for the guys to leave the room and the women answered questions for the men. This was also when things started going down hill. I was very thoughtful and logical when answering the questions and I thought I had done a great job and D and I would smoke everyone. Well, the guys come back in and the questions begin.

First question: You are out with your husband and another guy starts flirting with you. What animal best describes how your husband would react...a) A bear b) A chimp c) A mouse. I had thought this through well and here is what my logic told me...First, D really isn't the jealous type so I ruled out Bear. He also isn't a wimp so I ruled out mouse. All that was left was Chimp so, Chimp I choose.

WRONG...I have since been informed that you never refer to your husband as a word coming even close to resembling "chump"...and if any of you know how passionate and loud D can get you can imagine the conversation that ensued after my actual answer was given (he wasn't yelling at me by any means, but he wasn't happy with my answer either.)

I still stand by the logic used in answering said question.

Another question: What is one physical thing that you would change about your husband (really who in their right mind makes a spouse answer a question like that?) He said, his gut, I said his hair...I meant the excess amount of it, he thought I meant the loss of it.

Anyway, there were other questions which I guess we have blocked out of our minds, but needless to say, we came in DEAD last.

Such a dumb experience but D was soooo mad at me. I couldn't even bring it up for months afterwards.

Why do I share this, because I think it is moments like this and the ability to survive them that make marriage interesting. Luckily D and I really don't fight much, but I am so glad that we decided early on that we were sticking together no matter what...we don't joke, threated or even discuss the option. It was one of the best decisions we made together.

I don't think that game will ever be played again at a ward function by anyone that attended or has heard of the story...and to our credit, the questions were really stupid anyway.

1 comment:

Pitcherpost said...

Too funny - your post cracked me up! Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to ask what you'd like to change about your spouse? That's awful! Even if you did lose the newlywed game, you guys make a perfect couple!