Sunday, January 27, 2008

What a week...

I think I say this at the end of every week. Wow. I went to Costco yesterday with my grandma who felt the need to use all the coupons she had ripped out of the flyer, yet didn't need any of the stuff personally. We ended up with a lot of great stuff which was really nice for us, but made me laugh when I was with her. I was just going along for the ride (and to buy some eggs).

She told me something that has really made me think. She said, "even though my days aren't very interesting, I am always excited to wake up and see what is going to happen that day." Isn't that great?? 91 years old and an outlook like that. I often dread waking up. It is just the start of the routine again: shower, blowdry hair, put makeup on, put undies on J, get J dressed, make J's bed, brush J's teeth, change P's diaper, nurse P, get self dressed, feed kids breakfast, put P down for nap, eat breakfast myself. And this all happens before 9:30am. Sometimes it is just so monotonous. I don't know what I expect, it is all stuff that has to be done, but sometimes it just gets old. Anyone else feel like this?

I try to come up with fun things to do during the day that don't require me to go to Target or Costco (my two biggest money pits). I like to get out though. I get a little cabin feverish if I stay home too much. I have started taking J to storytime again now that he will actually sit still. He has really been enjoying it, especially the craft. Then, I try to let him play with friends one day, go to the grocery store one day, but that still leaves a few days in there. I will play with pics, do housestuff or fill my time with the stuff I have to do, but if I had my choice I would go to lunch a few days a week, do craft projects, read and bake.

I am not complaining about my life, I have a great life, but life is just that, life. D laughs at me when I say that. Seriously though, isn't it so true that is about the journey and even though at time it is so monotonous, it can bring so much joy and peace. My kiddos (okay, really just the two year old) can bring me to my whits end, yet I love him so much and can't imagine life without him.

We had a busy week...Tuesday I went to enrichment and to see the movie "Juno". It was an interesting movie--I loved parts and felt sad about parts. I think all in all it was one I really liked. The message was very unHollywood and for that I liked it.

Wednesday D started his woodworking class. He is really excited about it. I have so many projects for him. I told him that to complete them all he needed to get through about two per class.

Thursday was bookclub. I have a great book club and I totally look forward to it each month. Last month we read "Gracelin O'Malley". I loved it. There were parts that were hard to get through--husband beating pregnant wife and I had to put it down for a while, but since I finished it I have thought so much about how blessed I am in life. The book takes place during one of the potato famines in Ireland and with every child that starved or died or lived I could see the face of one of my children on them. I can't even imagine how difficult something like this would have been. I lived in a third world country on my mission and I am aware of the disparity between our country and others. We (I) just feel really blessed to live in this time, in these circumstances.

I forgot to mention that I started taking J to Storytime again. I quit for a while because he was so naughty while we were there and I wanted to strangle him by the time we left (usually early). He has done great the last two weeks...he sits and listens to the books, doesn't scream when I ask him to sit down and loves doing the craft. It has been really rewarding to take him.

Friday was our errand day. Since we had planned to leave town for the weekend I went to the Weight Watchers meeting that morning. I have now lost 7.5 pounds (in three weeks). Hooray! I still have about 10 to go, but some of that I know will stick with me until I finish nursing. I would love to get to 140 and then after I am done nursing work on the last five pounds. We will see. I have been very diligent about working out and really, just feeling better about myself.

We had a game night on Friday which was fun and had another fun friend get together on Saturday. It was a busy, fun weekend. I love playing games so I enjoy any opportunity to do so. I just have to work to keep my intensity down when I play.

And that brings us to today--Sunday. I woke up at 9:15am (can't believe P let me sleep that long) to a rainy day. I love the rain...not for too many days in a row, but a day of it is fun. D is good to me and always gets up with J on the weekends so that I can sleep in. I don't think he realizes how much it means to me. I love (and need) my sleep. Luckily, neither kids wakes up too early (usually between 7:30am and 8:00am). I vaguely remember the days when I could sleep in whenever I wanted...(sigh) wouldn't that be nice?

On to a new week. My parents got to Guatemala to begin their stint in the foreign service and it is strange to imagine them so far away. I am working on passports and hopefully we will visit them while they are there. Both sets of grandparents are now about 4 hours away. This makes me sad. I wish I had endless amounts of money so I could visit all the time--or atleast quarterly. I love our families.

Off to bed. I have had many late nights and it is catching up to me. I have been watching PBS Masterpiece theatres Jane Austen Series every Sunday night with my Gma and tonight I could barely stay awake during Mansfield Park. I saw it a long time ago and remembered it really differently.

Until next time...I will hopefully have some cute pics to post--I have great ideas for J's three year old pics and some of P as well.

Oh, and for all interested (all family is obligated) I am going to put a time capsule together for J's bday for him to open when he turns 18 so be thinking about what to contribute (it doesn't have to cost anything!!)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh the monotony of life with little ones. I feel the same way most days. I'm not brave enough to get out of the house with all of them much. It usually turns into total mayhem. I've thought about story time with my two year old, but I'm not sure he can sit still that long.

Pitcherpost said...

I think everyone feels that way from time to time, whether they are a stay at home mom or working or whatever. You're not alone!

Congrats on losing 7.5 lbs in 3 weeks, that's an accomplishment, I'm trying to lose weight, but I've managed to gain a pound over the last 3 weeks!

Juno was an awesome movie. I cried the whole time, either b/c I was laughing or b/c it was sweet or sad.