Sunday, February 10, 2008

another week gone by...

it was a good one. I started a parenting class called "Love and Logic" and already I have seen improvements in J's behavior. Basically it teaches you to empathize with your child and help them to feel the importance of their decisions. It has taken some thinking on my part to rephrase things for him...for example, instead of saying, "If you hit the dog once more you can't play with him," you say, "as long as you choose not to hit the dog anymore you can keep playing with him." Seems simple, but J has really responded to it. Anyway, I am excited about it. I needed some new tactics to help me deal with him.

I felt like we were gone a lot this week. I started cutting out fabric for a quilt on Sunday and didn't get a chance to get to it the rest of the week. I finally put it away on Thursday but hopefully I will finish getting my blocks cut out this week. I am finally making a few rag quilts that I bought fabric for about three years ago. I decided that instead of feeling bad because I don't get projects done to just do them--make time and do them. I have started doing some "fly lady" stuff again which allows me to feel like I have done enough to warrant time for me. Sounds dumb, but so often I get caught in the mind set of needing to have my house spotless in order to work on projects. What that really results in is me never working on projects because there is always laundry to do, bathrooms to clean, vacuuming to do etc. I have set it up where I do certain jobs each day and when those jobs are done I am done with the cleaning bit (besides dishes and laundry and you know, the never ending tasks). So it has only been a week, but it was a good one and hopefully I can keep this up.

We had a really fun weekend. We started out with a Valentine's Party with some friends where we played none other than the "Newlywed Game." It took D a few weeks to soften up to the idea, but this time we went into it with a strategy and the understanding that the game is sort of meant to pit one spouse against another. We actually came in third which was good considering our dismal performace at the Elder's Quorum Party a few years back. It was a fun party because it was a group of people that I don't always hang out with. After the game we all sat around and talked and it was a lot of fun getting to know some of the people.

Saturday we headed down to Las Vegas for one of my cousins Eagle Court of Honor. There was quite a bit of my family there and it is always fun to see and talk to them. We stayed the night with my cousin Tara and her family and it was really fun. Tara and I grew up close and it seems like whenever we get together we just pick up where we left off. D and I knew that it might be a crazy night with the kids off routines (I am kind of a routine freak--my kids are always in bed by 7, nap, eat, etc. around the same time). I get a little stressed out when they are off. Anyway, J was up playing with his cousins until close to 11pm and had a blast. It was so fun to watch him play "tag", chase around, jump, run, converse etc. just like one of the big kids. When did that happen? He had his first slumber party with Lincoln and Julia and he thought he had died and gone to heaven. He slept in Lincoln's bed and thought he was big stuff. Of course at 11pm I had to send D in there to lay with him and get him to sleep...I knew he would still be up at the same time and that would mean that he would be grouchy. D and I slept in the room with P and were awakened a few times by the sound of P blowing raspberries and talking. It was pretty cute.

So even with little sleep we survived and had a great time. I smoked Tara at Nerts and we had delicious brownie sundaes (weight watchers? what is that?). I hope we can see all of them again. J informed me tonight that "weenkin" and "doowia" are his best friends. Funny kid.

So, I am down 12 pounds now. That is a great feeling. Unfortunately I think it is affecting my milk and that I have little left. We will see how much longer I can convince P to nurse. She has turned into a total momma's girl and is perfectly happy until she can't see me anymore. Kind of endearing although I know it will drive me crazy at times too. I had my friend Anne watch her this week and P cried almost the whole time which is totally unlike her. Poor Anne. I think P is started to have separation anxiety.

Speaking of Miss P. She is not crawling yet, but has figured out how to move around in her little circle. I will turn around and she will be facing the opposite way. I know it won't be long before I have to baby proof the house again and all the knees of her clothes are beat up. Blah. The crawling stage is not my favorite (although the little bum in the air crawling around is oh so cute.)

Another week until J's third bday...can't believe it. He has requested a junior asparagus party. He loves Vege Tales. It will be really low key whatever it is.

Off to watch the next in the Jane Austen series on Masterpiece theatre. I have enjoyed watching all the british versions of her works.

3 comments:

jen said...

I have always wanted to learn to quilt. My mother-in-law was going to teach me many years ago but having to learn to sew really well was just to daunting of a task for me.

I am glad you decided to play the Newlywed Game (despite your past experience). I thought the questions were harmless. Douglas is really creative. I really believed the proposal story until he got to the part about covering the ring with ketchup!!

Stephens Family said...

Love Jane Austen..I love the way you write, you have such a talent!

Sarah said...

Nice commentary-- you covered a lot of ground. And you're looking pretty hot, I must say. Did I pick up that 12 pounds you lost?? I think I might have. Let me know if you want it back in May sometime.