Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 3

So, I am accepting the fact that I am not going to get any work done tonight so I figured I might as well blog for a bit. Then, it is off to make some buttermilk syrup for D's trip and get on the treadmill. I have a love hate relationship with the treadmill. I feel great when I get off and get a good workout in, but it is sooooo boring. I need some good TV shows to watch. Any suggestions?

Well, life has been busy in the Shaw house. We made it through D's intense GMAT Prep, he took the test, did well and now we are on to applications. We went to San Diego for a week with D's family and had an absolute blast (more to come on that some month :)), J started at Miss Debbie's superstar preschool and loves it, my business is BUSY (good and bad), I am making 5 Halloween costumes (remember last year when I swore I wouldn't do it again...I am), and Miss P keeps me crazy. I felt a little validated when the sitter (who has 6 children of her own) told me she has never had one as busy. Thank you. Thank you. I am not crazy. P is though :).

So here we go. I may need some help filling in the gaps, Mom. You know how I am with the memory.

Day 3:
We got up early this day and loaded into our nice van that actually had seats and seatbelts. Our driver, Manuel, was awesome and came with us on all our adventures. We had a long drive ahead of us, so we had to start early. We drove for some time through the lush Guatemala landscape (I think most people have no idea that Guatemala is a very tropical climate). We passed a lot of "living fences" where people would cut a stick of a tree, plant them in a line and they grow into new trees, forming a natural fence. Pretty cool.

Our first stop was Quirigua (did I spell that right?) There were large stelas all over the place and they had such intricate carvings all over them. I will just say right now, that the ruins in Guatemala are unbelievable. I can't imagine how long and how much man power it took to build these things. It is also soooo HOT and muggy.

Photobucket look at that hot guy and the cool wall/stairs behind him.
Photobucket
Photobucket
my mom and me. You can see a little of how this little area was laid out.
Photobucket
With my dad-e-o too. Forgive the bad resizing. I can't get it right and I give up.
Photobucket
Photobucket D and Jonathon went exploring in the jungle. It was really thick once you got past the trees you see.
Photobucket Stelas
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Happy Jonathon. He was so fun to have around.
Photobucket

3 comments:

CDW said...

Douglas is right...it's stela.

CDW said...

Douglas is right...it's stela.

Tina said...

Plural is stelae.