Monday, January 12, 2009

A few things I learned about rollerblading at 30 and with two kids in tow

1. Ummm, rollerblading is way harder than I remember it being. I haven't sweated that much for a long time.

2. Do not choose the black diamond course for your reentry into R.B. (especially not when you are also pushing a jogger)

3. Uphill is a beast, but really, it is the downhill you need to worry about. I had to sit and strategize for a few minutes to figure out how to do it and not seriously injure one (or all) of us. I made J buckle up for safety. Have you seen the movie, "spies like us"? Well all I could think the whole time was, "serpentine, serpentine". I probably looked like a fool.

4. Take some really good music to listen to in order to distract from the burning in your legs (is it wrong that my favorite workout music these days is Britney Spears...yeah, probably)

It was quite an adventure. I am going to stick to the flat road for a while, that's for sure. I guess I should go eat a brownie now.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

You've definitely earned a brownie!

I don't think I would return alive if I went roller blading. Black diamond course? Is there a RB track/trail?

annebabe said...

i have the sudden urge to watch "spies like us." and eat a brownie.

Tara said...

I have NO doubt that I would seriously injure someone. I can't even walk down the stairs without majorly spraining my ankle.

The last time I went roller blading (years ago) my brothers were with me and they had to turn me around in circles to get me to stop or I might have died. Aren't you lucky they were there so that you can still be friends with me?

Anonymous said...

You are amazing to attempt that with children. I have to wear the safety strap on my stroller when I just walk with LC...

andrea said...

I am obsessed with the new Britney Spears CD. Not that I work out...but if I did...it would be my music of choice. I have roller skates here. Maybe we could form some sort of synchronized street skating team? Let me know if you're in!