So, we headed out around 11:30am and went to Noodles and Company. I had never been before and was curious. I had Chicken Pad Thai. It was okay, but I was really feeling off at this point. I ran Paige to school and headed out to grocery shop. When I got to Hillers I immediately headed to the bathroom. Without being too gross, just say that I needed to check things out. I had lost a bit of fluid, but I wasn't sure whether I should really worry about it or not, so I just continued my grocery shopping. Haha. I am so dumb. I usually just buy meat and produce at Hillers because it is an expensive store. I ran by the house on the way to Meijer (like Walmart) so that I could drop the groceries off. I also felt like I needed to prepare in case my water broke while I was out. I was a little suspicious that was what was happening. At this point I had a good deal of fluid coming out, but I wasn't sure it was my water breaking so I called to dr. to see what they suggested. They wanted me to lay down for ten minutes and then get up to see if it gushed. Well, it didn't even take 10 minutes before I knew that it had indeed broken.
Interestingly enough, I still debated whether to finish my grocery shopping before going to the hospital. When my water broke with Jackson, it completely broke and I was in good labor within the hour. This time, however, it was more of a continuous, but light trickle. I called Douglas and told him that we were having the baby. At this point I started feeling a bit emotional. I got in the car and went out to pick up Douglas and Paige. I was expecting my contractions to start like they did with J, but they didn't. We got home from getting Paige, called our fantastic neighbor Mary to come and stay with the kids, got my bag (which I quickly packed when my water broke, before getting Douglas, and headed to the hospital.
When we got to the hospital, around 3:30pm, we had to wait around a bit for them to admit us into triage to make sure that my water had indeed broken and I hadn't just wet myself. Really, this is what they told me. I was surprised that I was still not contracting at this point. It had been about 3 hours since my water started leaking and nothing had really changed in terms of contractions. They finally took us into triage and the nurse came in to make sure it was indeed my waters. As soon as she checked, it really broke. I am always amazed at how much fluid is in me when I am pregnant. It just keeps coming and coming.
They called Dr. Mouro to see what he wanted to do. He wanted to admit me and start me on pitocin to get the contractions going. I really didn't want pitocin though. I really felt that since my water had finally, completely broken, the contractions would start. The dr. said it was fine and we would wait until 8:30pm to see what was happening. They got me settled in my delivery room and we waited. Slowly my contractions picked up and there was very notable progress by 8:30pm so we didn't need any pitocin. They had my IV in me and told me that I could have my epidural when I was ready. I waited as long as I could because with the other two kids my labor slowed down once I had my epidural. Finally, I was ready though. The anesthesiologist was great. She came in and had that thing in my back within 5 minutes. I really liked this epidural because I could still feel what was happening. With Paige's I couldn't feel anything for two hours after it came out.
By 11pm-ish, I was almost fully dilated, but the baby hadn't come down the canal all the way. He was turned sideways a bit and it was keeping him from making it all the way. We waited way too long, in my opinion, to see if he would turn. Finally, the doctor came in and asked me if I just wanted to push and see what we could do. Ummm, yes. At this point it was after 2am. The doctor was great the entire delivery. He was there the entire time and would come in and chat with us occasionally. When he came in to help me push, he kept all the lights dimmed and just sat at the end of the bed. I pushed for a few minutes here and the baby started making his way down. I had HORRIBLE acid reflux at this point. So much so that I couldn't think about anything else. My throat was on fire. They gave me a pepcid, but it took a while to kick it. It was miserable.
Once I pushed a few minutes like this, the doctor took the end of the bed off and got things ready for me to deliver. I began pushing at this point. It took maybe 5 minutes total, but I now have a HUGE respect for people who labor and push for 12+ hours. I was so tired by the time it came to push. I really had to dig deep to want to push him out. I was just so sleepy. I also get the shakes so badly while I am in labor. I hate those. But, I finally just decided that I was going to do it and once I really pushed, he was out within a few pushes.
As soon as Benny came out, I looked at those chubby cheeks and knew he was a big baby. 8 pounds 7 ounces. My biggest babe by far and also my earliest. Thank heavens he didn't come two weeks later on his due date!
It takes me a while to feel connected to my new babies. For the first little while it just seems surreal. They don't seem like mine. Once I am settled in my room though and had time with just him, I really started to feel a bond with him. That has only increased as he has been in the family. Man, I love that little guy.
Because Bennett was such a big baby they had to test his blood sugar to make sure that it stayed where it should be. This was so annoying, mainly because they made sure to come and wake me every three hours, even through the night, to make sure he ate (not sure what they thought he was getting, but whatever). It just added to my dislike of the hospital time. Blah. No rest for the weary, that is for sure!
So, that about sums it up. That baby has been adored by all since he arrived. He has grown quickly and I have to fight the feelings of sadness about him growing. I just adore the newborn stage. I could have 10 newborns. I know what they grow up to be though, so that will not happen :)! I can't wait to see who he becomes and already, I love each stage. Right now he is rocking to his side while he does tummy time (or tummy torture, as I call it). I think he will be rolling over soon. He smiles and coos. Blows raspberries. Likes to look at himself in the mirror. Loves to be wrapped up and carried by me, does not nap well and is all around adorable.
Here were his birth stats:
8 pounds, 7 ounces
20.5 inches
born at 2:45am
10-11-11
and, here are a few of Douglas' birth pictures...
It is a cold, bright world. This little guy didn't feel the need to cry when he got out though. He cried out when he first got out and then quieted right down.

I look kind of disgusted. It must have been the reflux. I was miserable. I look horrible here. It makes me laugh.

Cute, chubby cheeks.

Excuse the giant you know what. Thank heavens my blog is private or I am sure I would offend. You have to have the weight shot though!

Cleaning him up.


Me, post labor, acting like it is no big deal. I am tired though as you can tell by the closed eyes.

Goopy eye stuff. They look like cute, little aliens when they are first born and have that goop in their eyes.

Loving my little guy.


Douglas saying hello. He always gets emotional when he holds our babies for the first time.


Big sis. Is it weird that I think she looks more grown up since she became a big sister?

My babies get horrible acne in the hospital. The nurses always assure me that it isn't the hospital linens, but I know it is. Their skin clears right up when we get home.


Big brother who ADORES his baby.


DeEtte flew in the morning I had Benny. It was so awesome to have her here. It was so nice not to worry about the kids at home.

Sleepy boy. I couldn't get him to wake up enough to eat that first day.



Look at that poor skin. It was so irritated.

Ready to head home!! HOORAY!



2 comments:
YAY!!! It annoys me to no end that doctors push pitocin on moms to "get things going". Good for you you for knowing your body and being patient! He really is so beautiful. Congrats!
i know this is old news by now, but it is so fun to read the birth story. love your honesty :)
Post a Comment