Thursday, June 02, 2011

Mama Bear

It really stinks to see your child picked on or left out. It seems to happen at such a young age and it is sad. Paige has been telling me that her little friend Camille has teamed up with another girl at preschool and that they and some other kids are always mean to her. I sort of dismissed it as Paige being, well, Paige until I went to preschool on Tuesday to assist and today at her graduation when I was able to watch it first hand. They are down right mean to Paige. I don't know why...neither have much going for them (haha, but seriously). They thing that makes my heart break is to watch how hard Paige tries to be accepted by them. She is always worried about what she is wearing and whether they will like it (um, neither girl is anything close to a fashionista). Where in the world does this need of Paige's come from...at 4 she is worried about what she is wearing. Man, I am in for a long road with that girl!

So, as a mom I debate what to do. Do I get involved? Do I coach Paige behind the scenes and let her fight her own battle? I really don't know what the answer is, but really I just feel like punching those bratty little girls in the face. And what gets me even more is that their moms are completely oblivious to what is going on. Seriously?? It is so obvious. Or do they just not care. I want to punch their moms in the face too.

Finally, after 2 hours of this at the graduation today, one of the little girls comes to tell on Paige that she had kicked the other little girl (go Paige). I came a little unglued (in a rational mom way??). First, I told Paige that we don't solve our problems by hitting and kicking and then I layed into those little girls. First, stop being such a tattle tale Camille. Second, stop being mean to Paige. That was the gist of what I told those girls. I was pretty steamed. Granted, they are 4, so I did keep it in check, but I think the mom next to me was cheering me on. Anyway, I know this is the beginning of things like this and I am already dreading and ready to cry for all the hurt feelings of my children.

On a totally unrelated note, I am going to gain a ton of weight having Douglas gone all the time. The evenings are boring and I fill them eating good food. I have got to stop. I have already gained 15 pounds and I am only half way. It is kind of depressing. It will really stink to have to lose it afterwards. I already know and accept that.

Paige's bday party is Saturday. I am slowly letting go of some of my over the top ideas. There are just too many kids coming and not enough time. I have to remind myself that no one cares if the water bottles have cute labels. I think I will just throw them in a big bucket of ice. No one cares if I have table decor and a million tissue paper poms. I just see all the awesome parties online and I want to be like them. They are so beautiful and fun. There are a few problems though 1)time 2)money. I just don't have enough of either. Oh well...just need to accept middle of the road.

Tomorrow is field day and Jackson is very excited. I will go and help for a while and then I have my ultrasound. I decided on a cute way to tell the kids (and everyone else, I guess). I have been working on that tonight. I am hoping to go out and take pictures of the kids tomorrow, but am accepting that it may not happen until next week. I am ready to sleep in every morning while my kids rot their brains away in front of the TV (is that bad?). I rented a car for my western bound trip...ouch! 3 weeks rental in the summer is not a cheap proposition. Man alive. I would go crazy without though so it was a necessary evil. I started the movie "Eat, Pray, Love". So far, I think it is stupid and I don't know whether I will finish. I am just so sad that all of my shows are done for the season. Boo!!! Modern Family has brought such great laughs! Good thing Friday Night Lights is on. Oh, and the Bachelorette. I am not crazy about Ashley, but it is still entertainment. That is about it, I guess. I have been dizzy all evening. Pregnancy does weird things to the body, that is for sure!! I am starting to feel excited about the prospect of another child. I am excited to find out the gender though one of my children is in for a great disappointment.

Off to bed. 11:30pm...that's early for me. I feel asleep with the kids tonight so I have felt rejuvinated!

4 comments:

Bri!!! said...

I gained 20 pounds with Caleb the first 14 weeks...yikes. Mean kids SUCK!

andrea said...

Stace--I think 15 pounds sounds REALLY good. I gain that (at least) in the first 12 weeks. I don't ever lose it either so I guess I can offer nothing else there, LOL.

Girls are so much different to raise than boys. I am going to say I'm pretty happy to just have one at this point. Too much to worry about! I hope Camille is not invited to your big party.

jen said...

It really does stink to see your child being picked on. That is something I have had to deal with for years...and will continue to for many years to come, I am afraid. I totally know how you feel. That is terrible that Paige is being left out. She is such a cute and fun little girl. Those other girls are just jealous for sure!!

staci said...

Those little girls have got NOTHIN' on Paige! I definitely don't look forward to the days of girls being girls. I dealt with many a mean girl in my day and I'm sure I was a mean girl at times too. I'm with Jen - those other girls are just jealous! Paige has to be the cutest of them all BY FAR!!! (and best dressed of course too!) Too bad she doesn't understand that at this age. Too bad she already is feeling self conscious about what she's wearing. What does that say about our society? Sad. Hope she doesn't have to deal with those girls next year!

I totally feel ya on the wanting to make the b-day party look like the ones on the cute blogs. I feel like I am such a loser compared to all the cute moms out there with cute blogs that have all the time in the world to take beautiful pictures, throw fabulous parties, make delicious meals, etc., etc., etc. I seriously cannot live up to that. Where do they find the time?? Where do they get the money? Who knows. I've just come to the conclusion that I can take bits & pieces of what these moms do & just make it my own. And that's exactly what you did my friend. We are a lot alike in this regard. We want things to be just right - down to the labels on the water bottles. When, in all reality, NO ONE, but you really cares. I'm sure to have the water bottles in the bucket of ice was a better option anyway, since it was such a hot day. Don't sell yourself short Stace. You threw a fabulous party & take amazing pictures & make some pretty darn delicious food. So to me, you ARE one of "those" moms!!! Kudos to you!! :) xoxo

ps-we MUST discuss Bachelorette!!! ASAP!!!!!