Friday, June 30, 2006

treat of the day

Here is what I am making. They are delicious. I love anything shortbready-butter and suger, what is not to love. Try these out and you will fall in love too.

Chewy Toffee Almond Bars

1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 ¾ cup (10 oz. Pkg.) toffee bits
¾ cup light corn syrup
1 cup sliced almonds
¾ cup coconut flakes

Heat oven to 350*. Grease sides of 9*13 pan. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Gradually add flour, beating well. Press dough down into pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

In a medium saucepan stir together toffee bits and corn syrup. Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly until toffee is melted, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat; add ½ cup almonds and ½ cup coconut. Spread mixture within ¼ inch of edges of crust. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup almonds and ¼ cup coconut over top. Continue baking 15 minutes or until bubbly. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

sounds yummy. If only I could cook...
if only I had an oven that worked...
if only I could eat wheat flour...
Someday I will make them!!